Sunday, November 14, 2010

World Diabetes Day & Me

Today, November 14, was World Diabetes Day. I was aware of it, but I didn't do anything to mark it. There wasn't anything happening in my community to mark WDD, perhaps because it was a Sunday. There were no walks, no rides, no buildings or monuments being lit up. (One of the ways that many places mark World Diabetes Day is by lighting up specific buildings or monuments in blue, because blue is the colour of World Diabetes Day.)

Sundays are usually pretty quiet days for me. I seldom go out. So I didn't even have a chance to wear blue today.

I tried to take part in the "Big Blue Test" but I didn't manage even that. For the Big Blue Test you were supposed to test your blood sugar at 2 p.m. your time, then do 15 minutes of exercise and test again. I tested at about 1:55 and found that my blood sugar was 3.7. That's too low for exercise, so I didn't do any.

Some people were doing a diabetes scavenger hunt, with the idea being that you organize a team, take pictures of specific items and then post them to a certain web page. But I found out about this only the night before, which was too late to organize a team, even if I knew enough fellow people with diabetes to do so. The only diabetic people I know are the ones on Twitter. My boyfriend didn't want to go out today.

Next year I'm going to try to get a jump on World Diabetes Day. I don't know how yet, but I'm going to do some research to find out if there is a way to organize people to do something to mark the day and get something lit up in blue. Unfortunately it's a work day next year, being on a Monday, so that will limit my options.

No comments:

Post a Comment